6/16/08

FOTD XXV - You're the Man David!

A few Sunday's ago I picked up a group of guys at the Venetian. It was near 7am and two were pretty sober, but the third was drunk off his ass. The drunk guy ended up sitting behind me out of sight. The gave me an address down southeast LV, so we take the freeway out there. The drunk guy spits or something and is real loud and somewhat belligerent, yelling at cars waiting next to us - that is not really a problem however the spitting most definitely was. As we pull on to the freeway, I tell him point-blank, if I hear you spitting again, I'm going to pull over and let the three of you out of the cab.

After that, he finds a cup and he uses that and it's fine with me. Long story short, a few days later, I pick up one of the sober guys at the house I dropped em off at. They are in town for the WSOP and the cash games around town, and I drop him (David) off at the Venetian, he asks for my number and I give it to him. They end up using it three times so far for rides to the Rio/Bellagio/Venetian.

The second time they called, the drunk guy (Bill) comes along. It turns out Bill is a 4-8 limit grinder while the others play 5-10 NL and are true young professional poker players. Giving these guys a ride and talking poker with em, kind of inspired me to go play that tourney on Friday @ Binions.

Back to today, David gives me a call saying he needs a ride to the airport. I'm 15+ miles away but am always ready to go pick up a 'personal'. We go to the airport, I drop him off at Delta, I take a radio call south of the airport, I drop off near UNLV and take another radio call who's destination is downtown at the Greyhound Bus Terminal. Five minutes into that ride, I hear this crazy ass ring tone (which surprised me cuz my passenger was an older black woman).. the ring tone is like

pick up this phone now
pick up this damn phone now


it's in a strange cartoon voice, so anyways I was like, maam, you have a crazy ring tone, and she says no that's not mine, there's a phone sitting back here. So I answer it, "this is the taxi driver", and it ends up being David. He ended up taking a cab from the airport back to his house to look for the phone, we talk and I agree to meet him back at the airport in 30 minutes.

It takes longer than I think to drop off this lady (40 minutes) and then head back to the airport from downtown. What was a drive through drop off is now bumper to bumper traffic at the airport, and I'm kind of worried that he'll miss his flight.

Anyways, while stuck in the airport traffic, I can see him up waiting by Delta, so I get out and yell out his name and get his attention so he can come over instead of waiting for me to get up by his gate. On the way I already decided that if he offered me $20 or $40 for bringing it back, I would politely decline, and say it was my pleasure / my fault that I didn't check the cab after he exited.

He comes up grabs the phone, tells me I came through in the clutch and has a $100 bill in his hand as he shakes my hand and takes off. Traffic clears somewhat and I'm able to drive past him, and as I do I yell out

"YOU'RE THE MAN DAVID"
"DAVID YOU'RE THE MAN"

Him and his crew are in town for a month more, so I look forward to other rides from them all.

GG

No comments: