6/25/08

FOTD XXVII - 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran

After dropping off at the airport, I went to stage in the 'pit' and after some twenty minutes moved up to the loading area. I pulled up and picked up a single male passenger with a lone duffel bag as his luggage. He got in, I greeted him and he told me his destination was 9500 W. Sahara (which is frickin far - 6 miles north x 9 miles west), so I'm kind of stoked cuz the rides about $40 or so plus then I can zone into the 380 zone which sometimes produces nice rides back to the strip/airport.

I tell him, that most drivers would probably take the 215 (which is kind of roundabout and $15 more) but I think the surface streets are the most direct. So I plan on going West on Tropicana, North on Durango, and then West up Sahara. So we head out and he tells me he's from Pierre, South Dakota (capital city), and he's here to visit his parents, his father's about to die and in the hospital and his mother's been having a hard time with it all. He goes on about how he hates everyone in his hometown, how he's not part of the 'clique' blah blah blah... but I can get along with almost everyone and can converse with most and we carry on some small talk. As we go along Tropicana he starts changing his attitude a bit....

WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

We're going to West Sahara. I'm going up to Durango and then over to Sahara.

You're trying to rip me off like this Korean Nip that drove me last time.

Huh?

----so we continue and then turn right on Durango-- the meter reads like $26---

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT, WHERE THE FUCK ARE WE? YOU'RE FUCKING TAKING ME IN CIRCLES.

Dude I'm taking you straight there. What's your problem, look at the map.

I DON'T NEED TO LOOK AT THE MAP. I DON'T KNOW WHERE WE ARE, I TOLD YOU WHERE I WANTED TO GO AND YOU'RE TAKING ME ALL OVER THE PLACE. THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!


Look, are you FUCKING CRAZY? This is the most direct way, are you saying I'm trying to cheat you? I'll call the cops for you then, and you can complain to them.

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO CALL THE COPS? YOU WANT TO GET ME ARRESTED?

No. Why would they arrest you? If you're unhappy you can talk to them about how I'm driving and the route I'm taking you.

THIS IS BULLSHIT, MY DAD'S DYING I'M HERE TO SEE HIM DIE I'M A 100% DISABLED VIETNAM VETERAN JUST TAKE ME THERE ASSHOLE.

Look, you're the fucking asshole giving me shit about this ride, you're destination is a long fucking ways from the airport dude, what the fuck???? Are you fucking crazy?

THE GOVERNMENT THINKS I'M CRAZY.

Well, they're right. Dude. Do you want me to let you out right here, I don't care I'll eat the $26 bucks.

---at this point, I think I might of let the situation get of hand and am worried he has some type of weapon for killing in his bag---


LET ME OUT I'LL WALK THE REST OF THE WAY, I WAS IN THE ARMY. FUCK THIS.


okay fine, i'm not letting you out. If you're willing to walk I won't pull over, dude just believe me when i say this is the most direct route. I don't know what you're problem is but you are nuts. And by the way my dad was in the Marines.

NO HE WAS IN THE ARMY.

huh?

----so we get to Sahara and he calms down cuz he starts to recognize the area----

YEAH THIS LOOKS RIGHT. OKAY YOU'RE CLOSE NOW.

man I told you, what the fuck? DUDE.

YEAH YEAH I DONT KNOW.

hey friend, i definitely will remember this ride. This is the first time I ever sweared at my passenger.

----we pull up to the housing complex, he's chill now.. i'm chill now - it's practically a love fest - the fare is $35, he gives me a $50 and asks for $10 back, I tell him pinch his mother's ass for me, and then he's off. I quickly pick up a ride around the corner headed back to the Rio and it's time to keep on rolling.

(It's hard to think back and replay the entire conversation... and I may be downplaying his rage and definitely left out tons of dialog between us, but it did end friendly and it was all good - rides like this make me want to have some type of recording device so you guys can listen to the insanity I sometimes come across as a Las Vegas Taxi Driver.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reprieve from my damn meeting. I would be happy to donate a recording device.