4/28/08

Day 6 FOTD XIX - Community Service

Today was a Geo (geographically restricted - no strip, downtown or airport pickups) day so never sure what to expect. Some days I have a personal call (a fare that calls me direct) from this dude that I drop off near Red Rock but not today. My strategy for Geo days has been to try and stay south and west of the strip where the longer rides and newer residential areas are. However today, I started out down there but ended up downtown and taking calls from there that lead me up to North Town (aka North Las Vegas). Today's FOTD is a call I took downtown.

After taking someone to the laundromat I zoned into '205' downtown (mistake #1) and proceeded to head over towards the LV Premium Outlets (usually 14-18$ rides back to the strip), after getting in line I call dispatch to cancel my zone but too late, I get a call downtown. I head over to Freemont & 15th st. and meet up with a family of five moving out of their weekly rental and I mean MOVING OUT. They have so much shit and you know, one of the things I've noticed is that when fools move out of these types of places their crap all smells the same. Clothes, bags etc. all has the same smell to it. It literally takes fifteen minutes to load up the minivan.

So it's loaded up and the parents get in with their three kids, one baby and a son & daughter ~5-7 yrs old? We drive a few blocks to another weekly rental ($170/wk) and this place is a true shit hole. (I'm losing steam writing this) Anyways I unload em, the fare is $14.70 ... as I drive away (in the background, the property manager is tripping about having five people in one of their tiny rooms) I say to the kids (who were very pleasant while we loaded the van) go to school, study hard and do their homework, when the daughter says "we don't go to school." Oh well, I kept driving.

This is titled community service, because after this ride I had multiple rides taking the locals of North Town to the store, picking em up from walmart/luckys/albertsons all crappy short rides (<$10) and of course no tip. As my brother said, I was performing CS today. It was a little frustrating however a majority of these fools I drove around today are fucked.

P.S. Over the last 9 of 10 days I've booked more than $300 (which is pretty good) and today I had to really hustle to get to $230. Today was just one of those days, after I would take a call that would end up being a grocery store run, I would hear on the radio a call from the speedway to the strip (~$50 ride) or from so and so to the airport .. tons of $50 rides but I missed out on all of them just so I could take so and so back home with their two dozen eggs, 24 instant ramens, two gallons of milk, pork chops, bags of dirty socks.. etc.

In summary, I give it up to the baby's daddy who is still around taking care of the kids. As we all know lots of fools in his situation take off. Now only if they enroll their kids in skool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had Geo, how did you pickup the family in downtown? How can you zone yourself into 205, on a Geo day?
Don't worry we all (frame hustlaz & dds) have our CS days. Keeps one rooted and aware of the dollar's falling value.

JB said...

Very good question, downtown for Geo purposes is considered to be the area west of las vegas blvd, south of swenson, east of main st and north of carson.. outside of that block is where this call came from.

Anonymous said...

CS days are beyond the world of cabbies, cabron. They exist in all other parts of life. Sometimes, you just gotta give to receive.

Out