9/2/08

FOTD XXXV - Freeway Fatality

I'm cruising down the I-15 just like we did back in the day in San Diego County... EXCEPT this I-15 is in Las Vegas and I'm going to pick up a ride. It's kind of funny cuz I felt nada for this dude (I'm jumping ahead). I guesstimated driving near 35K miles and not seeing different random acts on the road. Back to it, I'm in the fast lane going around 75 when I see a shoe in between the first and second lanes... I say to myself "That's strange. . . a shoe in the middle of the freeway. . .I wonder where that came from HOLY SHIT!!!"

WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IN THE CENTER DIVIDE I SEE A HUMAN BODY. HE'S LYING ON HIS LEFT SIDE WITH HIS LEFT ARM STRETCHED OUT AND HIS HEAD LYING GENTLY ON HIS OUTSTRETCHED ARM. HE'S NOT ALL FUCKED UP AND I DON'T SEE ANY BLOOD SO MAYBE HE'S SLEEPING I THINK.

And then he disappears as I fly by him... for a split second I think of stopping but as I drive by I see other cars that have stopped and are backing up to possibly assist or look through his pockets before the ambulance comes. My first impression was that he was some kind of homeless guy but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how he'd of gotten into the center divide.

I call it into dispatch and go on to pick up my customer. They end up closing most of the freeway down for two plus hours as well as the Tropicana and Flamingo on ramps. I remember remarking that it was a shame that all this traffic was due to some "dead homeless guy". So by the time I get home it's all over the news, that this dude was on a motorcycle, trying to outrun the police, when he crashed off the Tropicana off ramp,falling fifty feet to the freeway below. It's amazing that I came up on him within minutes of him landing on his face. Seeing him flailing through the air is not a visual that I'd like to have for the rest of my life.

Which brings me to my old friend and roommate Russ who too drove off an overpass like this and fell fifty feet to the center divide, shattering every bone in his lower half of his body. Luckily he had the rest of his work truck "surrounding" him to "protect" him from death. Something tells me though that Russ would of survived this one too.

PS: Oh yeah, I forgot the ride I was going to pick up ended up waiting outside of an apartment complex, sitting on some type of utility box, at 930am wearing her club clothes from the night before. She and her bestfriend/girlfriend came out to Las Vegas to meet up with a guy she knew. They were hanging out with him for the last four days and she had sex with the dude multiple times and as she put it "enjoying the total Vegas experience." At 730am the guy asks her friend if she wants to go on the balcony and have a cigarette. Her friend and this dude end up having sex on the balcony! This poor chick all dressed up and feeling like shit with a plane leaving in three hours and having to check out of the Hard Rock in ninety minutes just saw her "bestfriend" and her "man" having sex on the balcony.

I tried to "comfort" her but was DENIED no less than five times.

No comments: