3/13/08

FOTD IX - "Candy"

Sometimes when the taxi lines on the strip back up with too many cabs I take radio calls. These are people around the city that are not served by a taxi stand and call our company numbers out of the phone book or off the back of the receipt's that we hand out to those that request them. When the office receives the call the dispatcher gives the call out to the cabs that are 'zoned in' to that part of town or they announce it over the radio by major cross-street or the taxi driver can call in and see what is close to their location.

The radio call is true crap shoot. You can pick up someone who is in town on biz or vacation and found themselves away from the strip or someone who is a local without a car. Which brings us to Candy. It's a little after two PM and I just cleared (dropped off and cab is empty) at the airport and the line there to pick up is moving real slow (probably 25-35 minute wait) so I head back out towards the strip. The ConExpo is letting out and there are lots of people waiting there but it's around 15 minutes to get there and most likely will only get a short ride.

ANYWAYS, I call in my location and I get Candy. I'm told to pick up at the Siegel Suites (which are extended stay -weekly,monthly- rental). I call Candy when I get close (and ask her where she's going and she says MGM) and when I get there she is waiting outside along with two large suitcases (with pillows attached to the top), a cd/radio, large black garbage bag, and some plastic bags with some shit in it. She's young, not attractive, possibly even disheveled and definitely could not make it as a prostitute.

LONG STORY SHORT, I grill her along the way confirming that she does in fact want to be dropped off at MGM. During the short ride I learn;
- picked her up at friends house where she crashed last night.
- boyfriend was looking for available rooms at local motels but they all were sold out.
- had enough to pay for cab ride.
- hour late in meeting her BF and she was worried he'd be pissed.
- meeting BF at MGM to reassess situation.

So I am totally ready to get this chick out of my cab and am concerned about dropping off a homeless chick (along with her baggage) in front of the MGM but whatever I'm clearing her out and taking the F off. We get there the fare is 11.50 she gives me 22.00 for 10.00 back apologizes for not giving a good tip, I tell her don't worry about it and I hope things get better. The funny part is when I pop the trunk and start taking her shit out, the bellman asks from the front of the cab if she needs assistance with her luggage, I kind of shake my head "no" / "get the f*ck out of here" but he persists and asks her and of course she says yes!!! so he comes around the back and sees her shit and he does not know what to say... I help him load his cart and her last piece of luggage had a plastic bag tied to it with old tupperware, forks and some fucking cheese sauce that gets all over the back of the cab. The bellman is like WTF, I don't even care about the sauce, I close the trunk and leave not looking back.

GG Candy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, thats gangsta. Don't even trip on droppn off da ho

Anonymous said...

I am loving this blog, J. Keep writing it, and we'll collect it all in a best selling book in a year....