3/23/08

FOTD XI - FTP

230AM Sunday and I just dropped off one of the many local degenerate gamblers at an apartment complex some five miles off the strip. I'm starting to learn that when the strip is jumping it's best to deadhead back and get back on the strip. Not this night, since I was at Jones/Rainbow I took a radio call that was at Jones/Cactus, now I knew it was down the road a little bit but I figured it could be a good ride. Anyways it ended up being 15+ miles away straight south in the Southern Highlands subdivision. And hitting a dead end on Jones (undeveloped desert) and finally making my way back around and to the 215 and getting back on track I gave my fare a call to give an ETA of about fifteen minutes.

Robyn answers the phone and says that she's outside all by herself and that if I can please hurry. I make it there in twelve minutes and like she said she is waiting on the street corner (with luggage) in a very dark, very upscale gated community. Long story short she is not going to the airport, she just got into a fight with her boyfriend of 18 months, he kept coming outside to get her to come back in so she walked down the street a ways and called the cab, she had a car there but since he always drives the battery was dead - and her total wait time was close to an hour.

She gives me an address of 215/Durango along with a short cut that cuts the ride from $45 to $25 (still a nice ride). Upon further questioning I find out that the whole thing started cuz her bf (during a minor argument) spilled water from a dog bowl onto the carpet, picked up the dog bowl and threw it into the bathroom breaking a mirror and freaking Robyn out. She went on to say that a month earlier he threw a water bottle against the wall ("to intimidate her") and warned him at that time that if it happened again. . . C-YA. She claims she couldn't live with herself if she didn't leave. Anyways again, long story short

-he plays online poker on FTP many hours.
-he is an FTP pro and one of the minority owners.
-they travel around the world while he plays in tournaments.
-he is retired and won a bracelet in 2002.
-they were going to Italy in two weeks where she suspected he would propose.
-she knew she was 'walking away' from tons of money.
-blah blah blah
-she admitted that he does not have a temper and he's a good guy.

I told her she was probably over reacting and things would be better. He'll apologize and they'll get on with it. Obviously my curiosity on who this guy was got to me and I told her as such, so after the above clues I was able to guess. She swore me to secrecy and all I will divulge are his initials PF. So I get her to her destination, she calls her roommate to warn her that she's coming home (since it's so infrequent) and the fare is $26. All she has are hundreds and I'm like "hey lady, you are my third ride I don't have change for that" .. i count out what I do have and it's $56, so she takes it and leaves me a single hundred dollar bill. Again I could of been more smooth and claimed to of had less.

PS. While pulling in I saw a taxi leave and as I got through the gates this dude in Timber's Bar uniform flagged me down, I told him after I drop her off I'll come back... turns out he just got dropped off but forgot his house keys at work and needed to go back and then taken back. Nice yo, back to back $25 rides.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining FOTD. These are costing me $, but worth it. Riveting FOTD + leisuirely reading + pimp status + waiting patients = longer waiting time = less walk in patients.

JB said...

ZOMG! I appreciate the "Riveting" part of this yo.